A miami-based escort agency called the Miami Escorts Group, which specializes in the escorting of couples, is now suing a Miami-based hotel owner for $10 million over allegations that the company mislabeled clients and lied about its fees.
The lawsuit filed Monday in U.S. District Court in Miami accuses the Hilton Hotels Group, a subsidiary of the Hilton Corporation, of defrauding clients and violating the Fair Labor Standards Act.
“The defendants engaged in a systematic pattern of defamatory conduct and unlawfully refused to provide reasonable accommodation to its customers,” the lawsuit alleges.
In its complaint, Hilton says that it “is confident that we will prevail in this case.”
It says that the hotel’s attorney, Michael G. Miller, “failed to provide a fair and timely response to Plaintiffs requests for information regarding the status of the lawsuit and failed to provide any reasonable assurance that the defendants would comply with Plaintiffs request.”
The lawsuit also accuses the hotel of notifying clients in advance that the lawsuit would go to trial, despite the fact that it was filed two months after the hotel had filed its response.
It also alleges that “the defendants’ failure to provide adequate notice of the pending lawsuit to customers was a major factor in the failure to properly identify and file the lawsuit.”
The suit accuses Hilton of violating a law that bars unfair labor practices in which “employees who engage in unlawful practices are subject to civil penalties, such as civil and criminal penalties.”
The case is the second filed against Hilton in two weeks.
Earlier this month, a Miami man filed a federal lawsuit against the hotel, alleging that the motel did not pay him his wages because he had been fired because of his sex work.
A Florida man also sued Hilton in October over the company’s failure to pay him for work he did for the company.
“I was told that if I was not fired because I did work for the hotel I would not be able to pay my rent,” said the man, who declined to be identified.
He said he paid $1,000 in rent to the company and had to return the money.
He did not want to be named because he feared for his safety.
The hotel declined to comment on the lawsuit.
“It’s not appropriate for us to comment further,” the company said in a statement.
A Hilton spokesman said in an email that the claims are false.
“We’ve been cooperating with our clients in this matter and have no further comment at this time.”
In October, the Miami-area hotel owner, William R. Schulman, who owns the Hyatt Regency, said in court papers that he would like to settle the case.
“This case is an unfortunate distraction from the important issues facing our industry,” Schulmen said.
“There is no excuse for these actions.
The Hilton Hotel Group, Inc. is a global leader in the hospitality industry and we are committed to providing the best service possible to our guests.”
The hotel’s lawyer, Brian H. Pritchard, said he is working with the hotel and other defendants to find a way to resolve the matter.
“Our goal is to resolve this matter amicably and amicably,” he said.